Winter presents a series of challenges for your pipes, especially winter here in Colorado Springs. Frozen or cracked pipes, broken water heaters and radiators and flooding are all serious problems that can be caused when winter temperatures exacerbate existing weaknesses in your plumbing.
As a plumber in Colorado Springs, CO, we’ve put together a few tips that will help you keep your pipes safe from freezing this winter:
- Insulate your pipes: Use padded sleeves or adhesive insulation to guard your pipes. Any exposed pipe is a risk for freezing. Once insulated, you still need to regularly check your pipes, especially those in your basement and those coming into or leaving your home. This is the most important thing you can do to prevent your plumbing from freezing.
- Regularly run your water: You want to be sure that water is regularly running from every valve in your house, including outside spigots, as still water is more of a freezing hazard. For extremely old pipes, it can be good to constantly leave your water running at a slow drip during the winter.
- Prevent and quickly fix clogged drains: Regularly treat your sink and bathtub for clogs. Usually, a mixture of baking soda and boiling water, poured down your drain once a week, can help keep your drains and pipes healthy and less prone to buildup. Clogs create still water, which, as we said before, is more likely to freeze.
- Weatherproof your home: The better your home is weatherproofed as a whole, the less likely it is that your pipes will freeze and burst. Weatherproof your windows and under your doors, as well as the areas where water enters and exits the home. This can make certain that pockets of freezing air aren’t making it into your home, protecting your pipes and saving you money on heating.
- Be careful with holiday cooking: Cooking for the holidays and all those extra guests can create a lot of additional grease and oil, and if you are not careful, this can end up in your drains. Of course, clogs lead to still water, which is more likely to freeze, so be especially mindful about cleaning your drains around the holidays.
At Affordable Rooter, we have been working as a plumber in Colorado Springs, CO since 2000. In the many winters we’ve seen since starting our business, we’ve witnessed a lot of emergency plumbing issues that could have been prevented by following the tips above.
We wish you the best of luck this winter with your pipes. If you are ever in need of emergency plumbing services, or a plumber for any type of work in Colorado Springs, please give us a call here at Affordable Rooter. We believe that providing high-quality plumbing services at an honest and affordable rate is the best way that we can serve our community. We take great pride in the work that we do, and in our commitment to upholding the highest standards in our workmanship and service.
Categorised in: Plumber
This post was written by Writer