Your dishwasher may be one of the most convenient appliances in your kitchen, but you will still need to monitor what you’re putting inside it so that you can prevent the need for expensive plumbing services in Colorado Springs, CO. Below is a list of some of the items that you should avoid putting in your dishwasher in order to keep it running as efficiently as possible:
- Dishes with food remnants: No matter how efficient your dishwasher is, it is still a good idea to rinse your dishes off before you put them through for a cycle. Dishes with leftover food waste and excessive grease could lead to a clogged drain line and a plumbing disaster.
- Paper labels: Be sure to remove all of the labels and price tags off of your dishes before loading them in your dishwasher. If these sticky labels dissolve in your dishwasher, they could clog both the drain and the filter.
- Glued items: Under the extreme heat of a dishwasher, dishes that have been glued back together could loosen and come apart while the appliance is running. The same goes for other plastic kitchen utensils that are held together with glue. It would be wise to avoid putting these in the dishwasher so as not to cause damage to the machine and the other dishes that are going through the cycle.
- Hollow plastic or travel mugs: Travel mugs and plastic utensils with hollowed handles allow room for moisture to seep in and linger, which could over time create an opening for mold to grow. To avoid the health risks that this could pose, wash these items by hand unless they have been specifically labeled as dishwasher safe.
- Fine dinnerware: How many times have you opened your dishwasher to find that some of your items have shifted during the cycle? For this reason, it is best to keep your fine china and other expensive dinnerware out of your dishwasher to keep it safe.
- Wood: Wooden items such as cutting boards and spoons should also be kept out of the dishwasher, as the moisture and heat could warp, crack and destroy them over time. It is best to wash these items by hand and make sure they are dried quickly and thoroughly to protect their finish.
- Cast iron dishes: The beauty of cast iron dishes is that the more worn they become, the more effective they are. Putting these items through the dishwasher could strip them of that usefulness, so it is best to wash them with care, by hand.
As careful as you may be about what goes in your dishwasher, unforeseen situations will inevitably arise at some point, and you might find that you need reliable plumbing services in Colorado Springs, CO for repairs. Our team at Affordable Rooter has built a reputation over the past 18 years for providing high quality work at reasonable rates, and you can depend on us to get you out of any plumbing jam you might find yourself in. Give us a call today to learn about all of the services we can offer you.
Categorised in: Plumbing Services
This post was written by Writer