Should My Colorado Springs Basement Sump Pump Make Noise for 24 Hours During A Rainstorm?
If you have a basement with a sump pump, you may have noticed that it tends to make noise, especially during heavy rainstorms. While some noise is expected during the operation of a sump pump, should it be constantly running and making noise for 24 hours during a rainstorm? In this blog post, we will explore this question and provide some insights into what may be causing the noise and whether it is something to be concerned about.
Understanding the Role of a Sump Pump
First, let’s understand the purpose of a sump pump. A sump pump is installed in the lowest part of a basement or crawl space to prevent water damage by pumping out excess water that accumulates due to high water tables, heavy rainstorms, or natural groundwater. It helps keep your basement dry and prevents flooding. When the water level rises past a certain point in the sump basin, the pump kicks in and starts pumping the water out of your basement through a discharge pipe.
Noise Factors to Consider
It is normal for a sump pump to make some noise during its operation. After all, it is a mechanical device that uses a motor to pump water. However, constant noise for 24 hours during a rainstorm may indicate an underlying issue that requires a Colorado Springs plumber to check. Here are some factors to consider:
1. Pump Size and Capacity: The size and capacity of your sump pump play a role in how often it runs and how noisy it is. If you have a small sump pump that is overwhelmed by excessive water, it may need to run continuously to keep up with the influx of water, resulting in constant noise.
2. Check Valve: A check valve is a one-way valve installed on the discharge pipe of the sump pump. Its purpose is to prevent water from flowing back into the sump pump pit after it has been pumped out. A faulty or malfunctioning check valve can cause water to flow back, resulting in the pump running more frequently and making more noise.
3. Float Switch: The float switch is responsible for activating the sump pump when the water level in the sump pit rises. If the float switch is not functioning properly or is stuck, it can cause the pump to run continuously, leading to constant noise.
4. Maintenance and Debris: Regular maintenance of your sump pump is essential to ensure its optimal performance. If the pump is clogged with debris or the impeller is damaged, it can lead to inefficient operation and excessive noise. Cleaning and inspecting the pump regularly can help identify and resolve these issues.
When to Be Concerned
While some noise is to be expected from a sump pump, constant noise for 24 hours during a rainstorm may be a cause for concern. If your sump pump is continuously running and making noise, it could indicate one of the following issues:
1. Overworked Pump: If your sump pump is too small for the amount of water it needs to handle, it may run constantly during heavy rainstorms. Upgrading to a larger capacity pump may resolve this issue.
2. Malfunctioning Check Valve: If the check valve is faulty, water can flow back into the sump pit, causing the pump to run continuously. Replacing the check valve can rectify this problem.
3. Stuck Float Switch: A stuck float switch can cause the pump to run non-stop. Ensuring that the float switch moves freely and is clear of any obstructions can help resolve this issue.
4. Mechanical Failure: In some cases, constant noise may indicate a mechanical failure in the pump itself. It is best to consult a professional to diagnose and repair any mechanical issues.
While some noise is normal for a sump pump, continuous noise for 24 hours during a rainstorm may indicate an underlying issue. Factors such as pump size, a malfunctioning check valve, a stuck float switch, or debris can cause the pump to run constantly and make excessive noise. If you are concerned about your sump pump’s operation, it is best to consult a professional who can assess the situation and recommend the appropriate course of action. Remember, a properly functioning sump pump is essential for protecting your basement from water damage and flooding.
Got Questions? Let Us Help!
Both Robert and Lisa Schubert, the founders of Affordable Rooter, believe in providing high-quality service at an honest and affordable rate. We take great pride in our commitment to our customers, striving to adhere to a stellar standard every day. It is our goal to fully satisfy our customers from the moment we first answer the phone, to the moment we’re completing a job. We aim to be prompt, courteous, and responsive to our customers’ needs. Through the course of over a dozen years, we’ve established a reputation of honesty, integrity and reliability in the El Paso and Teller Counties. Contact us today to learn more about what we can do for you!
Categorised in: Sump Pumps
This post was written by admin